I am going to pick a day each week to discuss various books that I have read. Reading is one of my favorite things to do. I much prefer reading to TV or movies. I feel I can totally engross myself in the plot of a book and go to fabulous places. I often feel sad at the end of a book because it is like I am breaking up with the characters.
I do not discriminate among books. I will read fiction, nonfiction, chick lit, classics, mysteries, etc. Actually I lied...I do have some boundaries. I will not read romance novels or those stupid sci fi novels. That is just not me. I like my books to be a little more realistic.
I recently finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It was a delightful book that took place shortly after the 2nd World War on a French Island. The book is all letters between the protagonist, Juliet, a 33 year-old writer and her publisher and various friends. Juliet is someone to immediately have affection for. She is witty and smart and compassionate. She has a mind of her own and does not coform to society as most women of her time did.
She is trying to start on a novel after completing column on the War for a London paper. She becomes aquainted with a group of islanders by mail. She goes to visit and learn more about her potential book subject and becomes enamored with the community and the people. Most importantly, she becomes close with a little girl whose mother was sent to a conentration camp and killed. She ends up adopting the girl at the end of the book. She also falls in love with the quiet Dawsey. It was cute to watch her fall in love...it took her a while to realize it. She always wrote of him in her letters so it was pretty obvious they would get together.
Anyhoo...it is a delightful book. I am moving on to my next venture and cannot make a decision. I have South of Broad by Pat Conroy, a chick book and one about how randomness rules our lives. I will let you know next week what I pick.
Any suggestions?
No comments:
Post a Comment